Table of contents
In this article, we will tell you about the stages of developing a mobile application. The use of additional tools helps the organization to automate processes, simplify the work of employees, partners, attract new customers and increase sales. Before you start work, you need to figure out the goals of creation, calculate the budget and choose a contractor. The development of a mobile application takes place in 8 stages. This is a labor intensive process. It is important that the items are in the correct order.
Before developing a mobile application, we set goals. After that, the collection of analytics begins.
- Competitor research.
- Analysis of customer behavior.
- Study of already existing programs of similar subjects.
This will help make the service user-friendly and understandable.
Compilation of terms of reference
After the market has been analyzed and the requirements of users are clear to the developers, the specialists proceed to the main stage of developing a mobile application. This is the preparation of terms of reference for staff.
Thanks to the TOR, there is an understanding of what service the customer wants to receive, and phased implementation begins.
- General requirements.
- compatibility with operating systems (windows, IOS, android);
- creation target;
- Functional requirements.
- data format;
- user roles (types of access);
- additional functions;
- composition of the system;
- UI features.
- Non-functional requirements.
- work speed;
- system security;
- technical specifications.
- Requirements for functionality (which sections and subsections are included, what is included in the sitemap).
- User Story - describe user behavior (what they do first).
- Customer Journey Map. Allows you to visualize how the characters will use the application in each of the user stories.
Each of the stages of developing a mobile application is important, it should not be skipped, for example, prototyping. It is impossible to immediately proceed to the design, as the customer must understand how the program will work.
The layout can be of two types:
- Interactive (has action and navigation buttons).
This is UX design. The goal is to increase user satisfaction. Complex processes are adapted for simple and convenient use without errors.
The logic of work and what actions the user will perform (where to go, which buttons to press) are thought out.
At the stage, it is possible to make changes, focusing on the benefit for the consumer, to revise some functions.
After the changes are made and the prototype is approved, it is submitted to designers and programmers for further work.
UI design is about appearance. The stages of mobile app design development include:
- creating interface elements (icons, notifications, buttons);
- font selection;
- visual development; this is a new design, or the use of the corporate identity of the organization.
Programming consists of two parts:
- Frontend. The client part (interface, logic) is being developed.
You can choose different approaches, here are a few:
Native development. Programs are written for a specific platform. The stages of developing a mobile application for android, IOS, Linux do not have significant differences. The programming language used to write such programs is only supported by one platform.
Native approach benefits:
- familiar to the user, intuitive;
- have high performance;
- get support for operating system stores (for example, the application can be easily downloaded from the Play Market or the App Store);
- developers have access to OS features;
Disadvantage of the native approach: For simple services, the option will be too expensive.
Cross-platform development. The application is written using shared development kits (SDKs).
- low cost;
- quick result;
- uses the same code for all platforms.
- when OS updates are released, they are more difficult to adapt than with the native approach;
- poor performance;
- long adaptation to different platforms.
- Backend. After choosing a platform, the developer proceeds to create the back end.
All data (on the balance of goods, stock in the warehouse, etc.) is stored on the server. The server must communicate with the external interface.
One of the important steps in developing a mobile application is testing. It is necessary in order to find errors and study the work: convenience, understandability for the user.
Verification in progress:
- With the help of programs.
- Manually. Testers work - people who open the application (each section, products, place an order, put products in the cart).
Development and promotion
After the experts have eliminated the shortcomings, the application is ready to go. But in order for users to learn about it and start actively downloading it, it is necessary to take a number of measures to promote the product.
- The community of early adopters. Information is reported on sites to promote startups.
- Publishing in stores (operating system stores - Google Play Market, App Store).
- Using advertising channels. A marketing strategy is being developed based on the experience of competitors. Advertising is set up, traffic is purchased. Top advertisers, effective ad campaigns, popular ad networks are tracked.
- Localization. The application must be available in different languages, which will lead to additional traffic.
- Other ways of promotion. Any promotion methods are carried out based on the specifics of the customer's business.
For smooth operation, you need to constantly provide technical support.
It performs the functions:
- Collects feedback from users, solves problems.
- Checks if the program is working.
- Releases an update for new devices and operating system versions.
The article provides step-by-step instructions on how to develop a mobile application from scratch. If you know programming languages or you already had experience in creating services, this will help you structure your knowledge and put it into practice. If you are a site owner and want to get an additional promotion tool, contact IT company. First of all, you need to focus on work experience, reviews, successful cases. Our team will create a project of any complexity. The stages of mobile application development will be completed on time, with detailed feedback and prompt changes.