Table of contents
Search bots will more accurately determine the subject of the site and its sections if the pages are logically grouped. For this, relinking is used. It is an important element for website usability and optimization.
What is linking and how does it work?
Relinking a site is linking pages together using hyperlinks. It is necessary so that the site user can easily get from one section to another, which leads to a more detailed study of the content and, consequently, to an increase in time on the site.
In addition, if the markup is done correctly, the resource is quickly displayed in high positions for the right queries.
There are two types of link relinking: internal and external.
Internal is linking pages of one resource.
Contextual and through:
- Contextual. One of the most convenient options in terms of SEO effect and benefits for visitors. These are links that are found in the text and lead to other sections of the resource. The advantage is building the right route for the visitor through the site.
- Through. Links to the same sections are located on all pages of the promoted site, for example, a link to the latest news for the week. Thanks to this markup, the weight of promoted pages increases.
Anchor and non-anchor:
- Anchor. There is a key phrase, for example, "women's bathrobes", which will send the user to the appropriate section of the site. This helps to increase the relevance of the material in relation to a specific query.
- No anchor. Links are affixed to neutral words. For example, “more”, “here”, “here” or just writing the page url.
Linking pages of different sites, that is, advertising of other resources. Main tasks:
- Increase the visibility of sites in search results.
- Expand partnerships, find resources with similar or related topics.
Having quality inbound links is one of the key ranking factors.
- Natural. It is formed as a result of the recommendations of independent users who want to share useful products or content. Or by distributing your content on various sites, indicating the source by webmasters of their own free will.
- Artificial. Created through special events, advertising integrations and collaborations with partners.
What does it affect?
Relinking performs many useful functions:
- Distributes and increases page weight.
- Promotes the site for medium and low-frequency queries.
- Accompanies faster indexing.
- Ensures the coherence and integrity of the site.
- Improves usability. The visitor navigates the sections more easily.
Types of linking by degree of automation
There are two methods that are used when organizing linking - manual and automatic. Each of them has its pros and cons, which should be considered when choosing a method for implementing the task. The choice of markup depends on:
- resource platforms;
- number of sections;
- relinking from competitors.
It is impossible to know for sure which method will be more effective, so it is better to test both options and, based on the data obtained, choose the best one.
Because it is done by hand, it takes a lot of time. Aimed at the long-term development of the site. The relevance of the page to the desired query is determined, and based on the data obtained, links are placed on pre-prepared pages.
This method is highly accurate and allows you to use only relevant links for landing pages.
Mostly used for large sites with scripts and plugins. This is an automated process that will not take much time, however, there may be errors with this approach.
This is due to the fact that the plugin or robot does not always correctly understand the content of the page in determining its relevance.
Basic linking schemes
- Hierarchical. Pages link to the main and adjacent pages.
With this relinking, several options are possible:
- optimize the main page for high-frequency queries;
- make links from categories and subcategories lead to final pages;
- Product categories may have links to subcategories or other categories;
- Product cards will link to categories and subcategories.
- Ring. Pages link to each other, thus forming a ring link, so there is an even distribution of the internal weight of the pages.
The disadvantage of this scheme is that if one of the pages is not indexed, the entire link will break. It is best to make several schemes related to each other.
- Star. Used for manual linking. All pages link to each other. Each page receives a large amount of link mass, and if links are broken, the weight does not change. Suitable for small sites with equal section weights.
Competently built linking is the key to successful website promotion. It has many nuances, in addition, search engine algorithms are constantly changing, so you need to constantly improve and update schemes. Trust the organization to experienced professionals who understand the latest trends and correctly implement the link structure, based on the specifics and link environment of competitors.